VALUE: $5 million – $10 million
DURATION: July 2016 – February 2017
Shamrock Civil were engaged by QGC to complete the Biloela Escarpment Remediation Works. These works consisted of the permanent rectification of the washouts on the escarpment, with a unique methodology and design, to provide a seamless repair to the escarpment to allign with the existing topography. These works were completed on a 240m long, 30 degree incline.
Scope of Works
- Site Mobilisation including site facilities and accommodation;
- Stripping of existing erosion control system and unsuitable material;
- Excavation of benches;
- Bulk earthworks including imported fill, supply and installation of cushion geotextile and rock mulch;
- Supply and place vegetation including biotic soil medium, high performance flexible growth medium, seed mix and fertilizer;
- Supply and place channel rock fill to western escarpment channel and escarpment head;
- Supply and install signage;
- Supply and install irrigation system; and
- Remediation of temporary Site facility hard-standing area, located adjacent to the Old Dawson Highway, back to original state.
The Biloela Escarpment Remediation Project raised a number of challenges including safety and wet weather. It was identified that the original methodology would need to be altered, to ensure the safety concerns of QGC and the operating limits of the machines. This lead to the rewriting and resubmission of the Project Risk Assessment for approval, before works on the escarpment face could commence. Once these requirements were satisfied, works progressed and the work flow logistics were streamliwned.
The project was completed with zero LTIs and the refuelling system utilised onsite was nominated for a Safety Innovation Award for QGC nationally.