VALUE:$1 million – $5 million
DURATION: March 2015 – July 2018
Shamrock Civil were awarded the contract for the Replacement Chinook Facilities, as part of the RAAF Base Townsville works for Lendlease.
Scope of works
- Installation and maintenance of erosion and sediment controls
- 5490m3 of bulk earthworks including subgrade preparation and treatment, bulk excavation, trimming, grading, back filling, compacting and detailed excavation of slabs, pad footings and strip footings
- Demolition and removal of existing structures, bitumen / asphaltic concrete pavement and HV & LV electrical services trenches
- Placement of pavements including Airside Asphalt mix, concrete, roadways
- Stormwater installation including pipes, pits and connections
- Installation of barrier rails, handrails, signage, linemarking and landscaping
- Latent conditions were an issue for footings and detailed excavations resulting in geotechnical engineer consultation to devise a suitable solution. Small areas within the project tested positive to PFAS contaminates and were treated and handled accordingly
Shamrock Civil worked closely with geotechnical engineers and the client to ensure quick, efficient outcomes to proceed from latent condition issues. Around 1000T of PFAS material could not be removed from Base due to high levels of contaminate. Shamrock Civil proposed the idea of encapsulating the PFAS contaminated material in a HDPE lined and sealed cell onsite in a location not required to be utilised by Defence. While completing contract works Shamrock Civil was given additional scope involving services installation and subgrade treatment. The project team worked progressively with no disruption to Defence operations whilst achieving an outstanding safety and quality record.