Waste Transfer Station
Mackay Regional Council
Duration of Project
April 2013 – September 2013
Shamrock Civil was awarded the contract to construct the new waste transfer facility for Mackay Regional Council (MRC) in Sarina. The facility will service the local area and act as a sorting station for recyclable waste. The project forms part of MRC Waste Services Strategic Plan and has a design life of 20 years. The facility will help MRC ensure it achieves State Government efficiency and environmental targets. The primary objective of the project was to the replace the existing waste station situated on site.
Scope of Work
- The import and placement of approximately 19,000m3 of select fill from local sources.
- Extensive quality assurance testing and reporting compliant with TMR specifications.
- The construction of a 3m high staggered retaining wall and ground support slabs. This required detailed coordination of several key subcontractors and tradesmen.
- The fabrication and installation of curved steel bin awnings
- The construction of 6200m2 of paved access road, car parking and storage areas.
- Extensive swale drains, bio-remediation systems and landscaping.
- Working under live traffic conditions, requiring a 5 stage traffic management plan with local stakeholder consultation.